The North Shore welcomes the arrival of spring with open arms. Just like any other area of the U.S. we look forward to warmer longer days, being able to hang the jackets up until fall and the beginning of outdoor sports and recreational opportunities. Along with the many joys of spring comes the dread in knowing tick season is right around the corner. Ticks carry a host of tick-borne illness and disease and among the most prevalent in the North Shore is Lyme Disease. Lyme Disease is endemic all across Massachusetts and other notable tick-borne illnesses are also on the rise such as Babesiosis, Ehrlichiosis, Tularemia and Anaplasmosis. Medical advances in treating these diseases continue to evolve, but at this point there is no magic pill or immunization to prevent us from being infected by one of these diseases if bitten by an infected tick. The best way to prevent becoming infected by a tick-borne illness is through tick control and prevention. Mosquito Squad of the North Shore is dedicated to keeping our residents safe from the threat of tick-borne illness and disease. Knowledge is power and knowing the best ways to tick proof your property is the first line of defense in fighting Lyme Disease and the other tick-borne illnesses in our region.
Mosquito Squad of the North Shore has complied an easy checklist of ways to tick proof your yard for the coming season. These are called the 6C’s. By heeding the advice and putting these hints into action on the home front you can reduce the risk of getting sick from the bite of a tick.
Mosquito Squad’s 6C’s to tick proofing your yard
1. Clear out– Reduce tick exposure by clearing out areas where lawn and tree debris gathers. Ticks thrive in moist, shady areas. Locate compost piles away from play areas or high traffic. Separate them with wood chips or gravel. Don’t position playground equipment, decks and patios near treed areas. Children are among the most affected by Lyme Disease.
2. Clean– Eliminate leaf litter and brush by cleaning it up around the house and lawn edges, mow tall grasses and keep the lawn short. Keep your environment free of overgrowth which includes the edges of the woods which can slowly creep into your backyard and outdoor living spaces.
3. Choose plants – Select plants and shrubs that are not attractive to deer and/or install physical barriers to keep deer out of your yard. Check with your local nursery to determine the best choices for your area. Choose plants with characteristics deer find unattractive. These selections may make the best candidates for use in the landscape border or in foundation plantings. Believe it or not some of these deer repelling plants are also quite beautiful!
4. Check hiding places – Know tick hiding places and check them frequently. Fences, along creek beds and ponds, brick walls, rocky areas and patio retaining walls are popular hiding places. Ticks love moist,shady areas with access to water. Ticks cannot survive in dry, arid conditions.
5. Care for family pets – Family pets can suffer from tick-borne disease and also carry infected ticks into the home. Talk to your veterinarian about using tick collars, topical and sprays. As with all pest control products, be sure to follow directions carefully. Even with these safeguards it is important to inspect your pet thoroughly following a trip outside or after frequenting a tick-prone area.
6. Call in the Pros – Mosquito Squad of the North Shore utilizes both barrier sprays which kill adult ticks on the contact as well as “tick tubes”. Strategically placed “tick tubes” prompt field mice to incorporate tick-killing material in their bedding. Tick tube implementation is most beneficial when conducted in the early spring and autumn. This breaks the life cycle of the tick and effectively eliminates hundreds of tick nymphs found in each mouse nest. Tick tube implementation can reduce the chances of coming into contact with a potentially infected tick by up to 97% within your treated property.
Contact us to learn more about our tick-intensive treatment program and learn how Mosquito Squad of the North Shore is helping wage the war against tick-borne illness and disease in our region one backyard at a time! Our program is affordable and effective and delivers peace of mind. Call us today for a free quote • (978) 887 – 1177 • email: email@example.com